With 2017 nearly in the books and 2018 getting closer and closer, it’s time to start looking at the future and what we need to do to help us succeed in the future. Some people make a big deal with their New Years resolutions, while others play it low key. Either way, Dr. Seuss has some lessons that you can use to help you propel your way into 2018.
Let’s start with these 2 quotes about learning and real life “doing”:
- You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You’re on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who’ll decide where to go.
- You’ll get mixed up, of course, as you already know. You’ll get mixed up with many strange birds as you go. So be sure when you step. Step with care and great tact and remember that Life’s a Great Balancing Act. Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. And never mix up your right foot with your left.
I’ve done my fair share of things over the years, I’ve run my own business, I’ve worked for others, I’ve supervised others, I’ve worked on my own, I’ve worked in teams, I’ve commuted, I’ve walked to work, I’ve taken public transit and that’s just the icing on the cake. I’ve travelled locally, in-state, out of state and out of country. One thing I’ve learned is you only learn so much in school and in training. The real learning starts when you start doing and don’t get me wrong, you will make mistakes and that’s not only fine, it’s expected! Don’t worry or fuss about mistakes or doing things wrong, make the best possible decision with the information you have and then learn from the outcome, whether it’s good or bad!
Next, to sum it up – “life’s too short”.
- I like nonsense; it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living; it’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life’s realities.
Not only is life short, but some people take it and themselves too serious. One thing that you should learn from Dr. Seuss is it’s ok to be sometimes be serious, but don’t forget to have some fun and joke around. This will give you a new perspective and let others see you with a new lens. It will also open many doors for you.
The hardest part about anything is getting started, whether it’s exercising, starting a business or cleaning your house.
- You can get so confused that you’ll start in to race down long wiggled roads at a break-necking pace and grind on for miles across weirdish wild space, headed, I fear, toward a most useless place. The Waiting Place…
Don’t get stuck on the “thinking” phase for anything for too long. Too many people think, think and overthink everything. It’s much better to jump in and start doing. You will make it much further and you will accomplish things.
I’ve leave with this last quote and I hope you take it to heart.
- You’re off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting,
So… get on your way!
Goodbye 2017. 2018, here we come! We hope everyone has an awesome new year and makes 2018 the best year possible!